Sunday, December 20, 2020

The Ballad of Nessie

The next short film I will review is the 2011 short, “The Ballad of Nessie,” which was shown before the “Winnie the Pooh” movie, which I don’t think I saw when I took my niece and nephews to see it. Maybe because we came in late, but that’s ok.

Suzannah Otis started her review by saying, “In discussing the short with friends after the show, we all seemed to have different opinions of it, but I loved it. It reminded me in style and design of the classic Disney shorts from the Tall Tales – Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, even Pecos Bill and Slue-foot Sue from Melody Time.” Narrated by Billy Connolly, Nessie does not speak throughout the short. Otis admitted, “The theme of the short also reminded me of the Pixar short Boundin’, my favorite of the Pixar shorts.”

Nessie’s happy home is stolen when a greedy golfer decides to turn it into a course for her his own personal use. However, the antagonist is not the real one. Actually, it’s Nessie’s endless trouble to find a home and her being told every time to keep her chin up and not to cry, which is difficult for Nessie as she deals with no one wanting her near them. After days of fighting not to cry, Nessie finally just lets out all of her emotions and continues to cry until she creates the entire Loch Ness – her new home. The lesson the narrator tells everyone is that it’s ok to cry and sometimes tears lets the best of us come out. Otis ended her review by saying, “And yes, I *did* tear up at that!”

Personally, I enjoyed this short and really think that everyone should check this one out too. If you can find this short online somewhere, then check it out. Otherwise, if you have a Disney+ account, find the Disney Short Film Collection and enjoy watching every short that is included on there.

Check in tomorrow for more exciting shorts in “Disney Month 2020.”

No comments:

Post a Comment