Chris Hicks asked in his review, “Remember when Lou
Gossett became Louis Gosset Jr. for "Roots" — and then all his
credits thereafter. Could it be that Hogan is so proud of "Mr. Nanny"
that he's decided to use his real first name from now on?”
This isn’t “Roots.”
“Mr. Nanny” is a stupid children’s film that copies
the formula better done in “Mr. Mom,” “Home Alone,” and any other of the countless
copies.
Even though Hogan made a surprisingly interesting role
in “Suburban Commando,” here he is stiff, distant, and less charming as a
retired wrestler who unwillingly becomes a bodyguard to a strange inventor (Max
from “The Muppet Movie,” Austin Pendleton), only to realize that he’s really
been hired to babysit his pestering children (Robert Gorman from “The Leprechaun”
and Madeline Zima).
Hicks mentioned, “But before we blame Hogan too much,
let's acknowledge that "Mr. Nanny" is an arch and unfunny film,
amateurishly written and directed by Michael Gottlieb ("Mannequin").
Even the veterans here look uncomfortable.”
The story has Hogan becoming a bodyguard as a favor to
his former manager, played by George Jefferson from “All in the Family” and “The
Jeffersons,” the late Sherman Hemsley. The job is to protect Pendleton, who has
a microchip that works on an anti-missile, called “The Peacemaker.”
The villain, played by David Johansen, who has a metal
plate on his head – thanks to a fight with Hogan and Hemsley long before – is after
the chip, and, you guessed it, he’s not above kidnapping Pendleton’s children
to get it.
Now Hogan becomes the kids’ “nanny,” and is the victim
of the pranks have made the other nannies quit, including a bowling ball that
falls out of a closet and lands on his head, trip wires that send him trampling
down a flight of stairs and get electrocuted when he steps out of a shower.
One device, an exploding wallet, is thought as so good
by Gottlieb that he uses it three times.
For his part, Hogan is all for the pratfalls, walking
into doors – and even wearing a tutu and curlers in his hair.
Hicks said, “But the film is predictable sludge,
lacking energy and laughs, and the "comic" mayhem isn't particularly
recommendable for the kiddies.”
Jo Anne Hart, who you might know better as Mother
Love, the original host of the daytime syndicated talk show, “Forgive or
Forget,” is in here as the maid.
The jokes in here don’t work and this is just another bad film of a bodybuilder who has to look after bratty children. This is a terrible film. I’m not kidding, it’s that bad. I made the mistake of watching this after I saw Nostalgia Critic’s review of it, and I regret that decision. I have no idea why I would watch this bad movie, especially seeing how bad it looked through the review. This is not a film I would want anyone to watch because they would not find this funny at all. Why would the children be setting up traps around the house for Hogan? Did they think it was funny? Were they trying to make him leave because they thought they could defend themselves? They are children, they are not old enough to defend themselves. Just look at the part where the boy has to face the bullies at school. Just because “Home Alone” was popular, there Culkin is defending himself against burglars. Here, Hogan is there to defend them, there is no reason for them to set up traps. These are sick children because they are trying to be murderers, I think. These kids should be locked up and have they key thrown away.
What was Hogan thinking? Wait a minute…I don’t think he was thinking. For a professional wrestler turned host of “American Gladiators,” this was a bad film for him to star in. Just because he thought the last film he did might have been bad doesn’t mean that it would make the next film good. Just look closely at the script before making a decision. That goes for anyone who has made bad films. I know I shouldn’t say this, seeing how Hogan passed not too long ago, but he did leave behind some films that he shamefully starred in, so what can we do? Just don’t watch this.
Next week, I will be finishing “Wrestlers in Movies
Month” with an actually good comic book adaptation that I don’t really hear
anyone talk about.

No comments:
Post a Comment