Monday, December 11, 2023

The Parent Trap (1961)

It’s impossible to talk about “The Parent Trap” without spending some time on its remake, which – despite both films having many of the same beats and gags – ends up being a more entertaining and heartwarming film.

Identical twins Sharon and Susan, both played by Hayley Mills, were separated at birth, but are surprised to meet one another at a summer camp for girls. The two decide to switch places to meet the parent they’ve never met, much to the irritation of mom (Maureen O’Hara) and dad Mitch (Brian Keith).

David Nusair said in his review of the 1961 original film, “The Parent Trap possesses exactly the kind of genteel vibe that one might expect from a circa-1960s Disney flick, complete with colorful (yet completely styleless) direction and an over-the-top, thoroughly detestable villain. But the palpable feeling of magic that was so prominent in the Lindsay Lohan update is absent here, a problem that's exacerbated by an overlong running time and the acceptable but far-from-memorable performances (something that's particularly true of Keith's gruff turn as the father, a role that was charismatically filled by Dennis Quaid in the remake).”

Even though the special effects are surprisingly whole, the original “The Parent Trap,” when watched alongside the remake, just can’t help but feel unrelated and dated by comparison.

I know this may come off as a surprise to people, but I just wasn’t a fan of this film. I saw a little bit of the film when I was in fifth grade during Halloween. My Elementary School used to have students dress up on Halloween and stand outside on the blacktop to show off their costumes. However, since I don’t celebrate Halloween, I went to the Media Center, where this film was being played. I never bothered to go back and watch this film until earlier this year to prepare for this month. If you like this film, great, but I can do without it.

This film was so successful that it had some sequels. We’ll be looking at the first one tomorrow in “Disney Month 2023.” I’m sorry for posting this late. I took a nap since I was so tired from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment