Friday, August 4, 2023

Dead Poets Society

Throughout the month of August, I felt it was right if I brought awareness to this issue that is still going on to this day, child abuse. Even though I know there is a month dedicated to it and I missed the opportunity to do that during that month, better late than never. Let’s get this month started with one of the greatest films that did talk about child abuse, the 1989 classic “Dead Poets Society.”

I would like to begin by telling everyone that this is not a crazy Robin Williams comedy. Actually, this isn’t a comedy at all.

Yes, there are a few funny moments, and Williams does get in a bit of occasional chatter, but not as the main focus. Also, what’s there appears to fit the character played by Williams, John Keating, an unorthodox English teacher in a conservative prep school in 1959. A classic poet, and as he teaches his students to appreciate the art, he also teaches them to reach for individuality. He’s interested in the emotion of poetry and the freedom of expression it represents, and he tries to teach some of that freedom in the boys who are in his class.

Of course, this is leading Keating into the danger zone. This is a school that believes in strict tradition and corporal punishment. As the film focuses on the boys in the class (seven of the boys particularly) it becomes evident that Keating’s influence is more dominant in the film than his actual appearance. A lot of the character is felt rather than seen. That might shock some of Williams’ fans at first, but it shouldn’t. He is the one that holds the film together.

The boys who are the main central focus of the film include Neil (Robert Sean Leonard), who hasn’t the strength to stand up to his tough, kind of psychologically abusive father (Kurtwood Smith), Todd (Ethan Hawke), who, as Christopher Hicks said in his review, “is attending school in the shadow of his accomplished brother, and whose parents are neglectful (take note of the birthday gift scene)” Charlie (Gale Hansen), who takes his wanting for independence in an arrogant way, Knox (Josh Charles), who falls in love with a cheerleader, making for a comic-tragic romance, and some other boys who are well-done, but have less to do.

When the boys find out that Keating, a graduate of the school himself, once was involved in a group called the “Dead Poets Society,” which met in a nearby cave and read poetry out loud, they decide to reform the group. However, needless to say, it eventually has the administrators disapprove this.

Hicks credited, “Director Peter Weir ("Witness," "The Year of Living Dangerously") and screenwriter Thom Schulman do a marvelous job of delineating the various characters so that we know each one, and though the film is a bit long (two hours, 10 minutes), given the nature of the material, and there are a few recognizable stereotypes and predictable moments from too many coming-of-age films, "Dead Poets Society" nevertheless is ultimately moving and has an ending that will leave the audience thinking as it leaves the theater.”

Hicks continued, “All the performances are excellent, particularly the complex shadings of Leonard, but Williams is especially memorable.” He is gentle, troubled and funny. With each new character Williams displayed he was a unique talent and, despite a few years prior people might have thought otherwise, he found a large about of films that worked for him, despite his liking for out-of-the-box comedy.

Credit should be given to John Seale’s beautiful cinematography and the nice, subtle score by Maruice Jarre. Actually, it’s just nice to have a period film that didn’t depend on rock music from the time being shown.

I would like to share a true story with everyone. When I was a freshmen in high school, I used to go to the office during my lunch period. My high school used to run on an A Day, B Day schedule. On the B Days, there was a senior that used to aide in the office. He was really good friends with my neighbor and he was one of the nicest guys I knew. He was a part of a talent show/male beauty pageant my high school held every year. He asked me and another freshmen if we could be a part of one his sketches. I told my dad about this and I did give him the information of a teacher who is in charge of the production, but I left it on his desk and he must have not look at it. Just when I was about to go on, my dad came to the school and dragged me out of it. He got really livid with me for no reason and the senior also believed he was being ridiculous. My dad didn’t like that senior and told me to stay away from him. However, I still met with him. When I started going to therapy and I spoke to my psychiatrist about this, she said that maybe my dad thought I was trying to get into theater acting and he was trying to stop me. I also said, because my neighbor speculated this and I agreed with him, that my dad thought I was hanging out with the wrong crowd because I made that mistake in middle school. I think he just got too overprotective and for years, I was really mad at him for what he did by overreacting. After discussing this in therapy, I’m feeling better about it and am not mad anymore. However, when I saw this film and saw what was going on with Neil, I related to him.

All of that aside, this film is a must to see. It was one of the best film Robin Williams ever did and I think it was nice of him to do it. I guess a lot of people could probably relate to the students in this film and it does leave a strong impact on someone after watching it. This might be another one of my favorite Robin Williams films. This film had the famous scene of the students standing on the desks saying, “Oh Captain! My Captain!” Also, this has the famous Robin Williams line, “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.” You can watch this on YouTube, so make sure to watch it.

Look out next week when I look at another film my cousin showed me when I was over his house that I didn’t really like in “Child Abuse Awareness Month.”

No comments:

Post a Comment