Friday, March 26, 2021

Dirty Work

Comedian Bob Saget made his feature film directorial debut with “Dirty Work,” released in 1998, with cameos from Saturday Night Live alumnus Chris Farley, Chevy Chase and Adam Sandler. “Dirty Work” is movie written by Frank Sebastiano, Norm MacDonald, and Fred Wolf. It stars Norm MacDonald, Artie Lange, Jack Warden, Traylor Howard, and Christopher MacDonald. Brandon Peters admitted in his review, “Its one of my personal favorite comedies from the 90s and I was very happy to see Olive Films picking it up to put onto Blu-ray!”

Best friends Mitch and Sam have started their own business that won’t fail – a “revenge” business that’ll take on the “Dirty Work” of “getting even,” dealing with stuff that people can’t or won’t take care of on their own. However, when they start fighting with shady property developer Travis Cole, they have met their match. Or have they? This time revenge will not only feel good, but will be hilarious, when the “Dirty Work” really starts.

Peters admitted, “Norm MacDonald is my all-time favorite Weekend Update anchor and one of my favorite Saturday Night Live cast members of all time. His humor during his era was a little ahead of its time, and you sort of had to get on the same page as him.  It’s very dry, bitter and relentless.  So, when his first feature film came a knocking in the summer of 1998, I was all over it.  I was hoping that this would launch Norm into some greater stardom.  I mean, they were putting his movie out in the summer, they had high expectations.”

Peters continued, “And I knew right away from seeing Dirty Work opening night to a mostly empty theater, that this one wasn’t going to take off at all.” The film got to number 9 on the top 10 before falling at ten million dollars theatrically. Norm would get another lead in a film, and be in sitcoms before transferring stuff to personal projects before become Colonel Sanders for KFC’s ad campaign.

Peters admitted, “Regardless of the film’s success, I really loved it.  And I still think its very funny today.  I never realized how darn short it was until this review (just over 75 minutes before the credits start rolling).  It featured Norm’s schtick and gags woven into a movie about getting revenge through heinous pranks on people.  His punchline deliveries were there and he carried over his tape recorder “Note to Self:” bit into the movie as well.  It was Norm MacDonald humor on a big scale and I enjoyed every second of it.”

They actually helped this film out with his co-stars and cameos. Bob Saget also made his directorial debut on the film, and his humor and Norm’s are both on the same level (Surprisingly this got a PG-13 rating). Artie Lange makes a good costar with MacDonald as they work well off of one another. Chevy Chase and Chris Farley also have small roles, both bringing the best of what they are given. Chevy Chase actually feels like he got to just use his humor wisely and he did a great job in some parts. Jack Warden really brings everything, and remember Traylor Howard? She was really popular during the 90s, and she’s completely beautiful here. Then there’s the other MacDonald, and if you want a villain in a comedy in the 90s, there’s not one better than him.

Peters mentions, “As someone who loved this movie and the comedic actor it was trying to promote, it still held up for me quite well.  I don’t know the ins and outs as to whether this became a cult classic or not, but most people I know that have seen it tended to enjoy it to varying degrees.  I was excited to revisit this one and notch it into my Blu-ray collection and with how short it is, I’ll definitely be giving it frequent spins.”

This movie got really slammed by critics when it was released. However, when I saw it, I really liked it. Especially with a nice cameo from Don Rickles, how could you go wrong? I know that this has that sophomoric, juvenile, disgusting humor, but it’s not going to make you completely uncomfortable the entire runtime. I still say check it out at least once and give it a chance. If you don’t end up liking it, I get it.

Well, that ends “Chris Farley Month.” I hope all of you enjoyed it. Stay tuned next month for more excitement in my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment