Friday, July 3, 2020

Dr. Dolittle

For quite some time now, I have been considering on reviewing the “Dr. Dolittle” franchise, but I never got around to reviewing them until now. All throughout the month of July, I will be looking at the franchise, starting with the first movie, which came out in 1998.

John R. McEwen started his review by saying, “It's always a bit depressing to me when Hollywood does a modern remake of an old children's classic movie, because it always says something to me about our changing tastes. Since censorship has been radically relaxed since the old days, new versions of those innocent old films almost always devolve into something rather cheap and crude. I can just imagine future releases: Bambi with diarrhea, the tin man rusting up because he wets his pants, and Willy Wonka having an illicit affair with one of the Oompa-Loompas.”

McEwen continued, “Don't get me wrong; I can enjoy an occasional off-color joke as much as the next guy, but I prefer if they're not written into the old movies I loved as a kid.” That is the case with 20th Century Fox’s 1998 remake of “Dr. Dolittle,” directed by Betty Thomas and starring Eddie Murphy as the protagonist. This rewrite of Hugh Lofting’s 1927 novel, written by Nat Lauldin and Larry Levin, is really different from Leslie Bricusse’s 1967 original.

John Dolittle has been able to talk to animals since he was a child, played by Raymond Matthew Mason at 3 and Dari Gerard Smith at 5. However, his father, played by Ossie Davis, forced him to kill his talent, afraid that he would become a loner in the world. Not until he becomes an adult and a successful M.D. does the talent come back. Just as he and his colleagues, played by Oliver Platt and Richard Schiff, are about to make a huge deal with a large company including their small practice, John starts hearing voices from stray dogs and guinea pigs.

After some time of denial, he accepts his gift and helps a rat who is having stomach pains. He gets really famous in the animal community and is soon overwhelmed with so many patients, all having different types of illness. Confusing his colleagues, his wife (Kristen Wilson), and two daughters (Kyla Pratt, Raven-Symone), he must make the decision on saving his relationships with people or his large animal patients. Or maybe he could balance between the two.

Eddie Murphy is one of those actors I have always found to be funny in everything he does. Even though this may not be one of his best movies, he is really enjoyable in here, with the other actors just staying out of the way during his parts. The human part of the story is really weird. It is obviously just there to give a small support for the animal plot.

McEwen noted, “But the most fun aspect of this film (for me) is trying to guess at the multitude of celebrity voices featured as the animals.” SNL comedian who also was the star of “The Norm Show,” Norm Macdonald (Lucky the dog) and Chris Rock (Rodney the guinea pig) are easy. They’re featured characters. However, there are so many TV and movie actors’ voices playing small roles in the entire movie, each with different characterizations. Listen for Albert Brooks, Reni Santoni, John Leguizamo, Julie Kavner, Garry Shandling, Ellen DeGeneres, Brian Doyle-Murray, Jenna Elfman, and Gilbert Gottfried, among others.

McEwen ended his review by saying, “While this film, with its toilet paper and fart jokes, cannot possibly aspire to the kind of magic created by the 1967 version (I'll never forget that huge snail and butterfly), it does pack a few laughs and a great diversity of funny cameos.”

I remember seeing this movie at a second cousin’s house and found it to be hilarious. I was laughing at all the parts with Murphy, Macdonald and Rock. I believe I must have seen it twice in my teens, but when I rewatched it a few years back, I still found it to be funny. I do think that everyone should see this movie because it is a very enjoyable, entertaining movie for the whole family to sit through and watch. You’ll love it, especially those who aren’t so rough on Murphy’s family-friendly movies.

Look out tomorrow when I review a yearly “Independence Day Movie Review.”

No comments:

Post a Comment