Saturday, December 14, 2019

Twitches

For today’s review, we’re going to look at the 2005 magical adventure, “Twitches.” Disney Channel loves their holiday-themed movies and making guilty pleasures that are right for the season, like during Christmas or Valentine’s Day. Justin Carreiro said in his review, “I can’t get enough of Halloween! Twitches had the perfect mix of what I love: magic, drama, and the return of 90’s teen stars, Tia and Tamera Mowry. I mean, I LOVED Sister, Sister when I was younger; I think that’s why Twitches was a DCOM that I had to watch.”

“Twitches” is the story of twin sisters, played obviously by Tia and Tamera, who meet each other for the first time and find out that they’re witch princesses from a different area. They were separated at birth to hide from a villain that is trying to kill them. This is like a combination of “Sister, Sister” and “Harry Potter.” This is all completely new for them, along with the audience.

Carreiro admitted, “As a Harry Potter fan, I love stories where people discover they’re magical for the first time.” There was this new place these twins were put into and a story that was larger than just a villain chasing them. Two magical sisters reunited for the first time to try and save the kingdom. The story of “twins reuniting for the first time after being separated by birth” is a little common for a story idea. Carreiro said, “Though, as someone who definitely does not have a twin, I can’t deny that I wished it happened to me. (I will meet my non-existent twin one day!)”

Carreiro continued, “I felt a connection to Twitches when I watched it for the first time. DCOMs tended to feature younger characters and focus on elementary/high school storylines for a while and I wanted something different. I was 15 years old when Twitches premiered; I was one of those awkward and sarcastic preppy kids in high school.” Seeing how “Twitches” is a story about more grounded characters in their 20s felt really nice. Actually, the characters are “grounded” with magical powers. These characters needed jobs and they went to school – it was more mature in a way.

Carreiro said, “After re-watching it now, I still enjoy the movie, probably not as much as I used to in the past. The one thing that popped up more so this time around is that I noticed the CGI.” Seeing how “Twitches” was released in 2005, it did not have the best special effects. Carreiro said, “I may have laughed a bit watching some of the scenes from the magical land.” The Disney Channel Original Movie budget and attention to detail has grown from the success of recent movies.

However, it still is a good movie and a nice one from Halloweens past. “Twitches” will be in the same league as other lighthearted Halloween classics like “Halloweentown,” “Tower of Terror” and hands down, “Hocus Pocus.”

If you were like me and grew up watching “Sister, Sister” in the 90s, seeing how that introduced everyone to Tia and Tamera Mowry, and you want see something that is in the same vain as that, see this movie. It was definitely enjoyable and funny. You will absolutely love this, I promise you. Don’t miss this one.

Now tomorrow I will look at a film that I’m definitely not in the age range for liking in “Disney Channel Original Movie Month.”

No comments:

Post a Comment