Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Inside Out

Now we have come to one of Pixar’s finest piece of cinematic works ever, “Inside Out,” released in 2015. The basic story is an 11-year-old girl battles with the arguing emotions inside of her. Doesn’t a psychiatrist help out with that? However, Pixar’s 15th film is another touchdown, a film that needs to be watched because the notch is put at what animation can do and proves that live action can’t touch the paintings it makes in film. Peter Travers said in his review, “Oh, did I say it was funny? It is, uproariously so, when you're not brushing away a tear.”

Riley (Kaitlyn Dias) is unhappy that her dad (Kyle MacLachlan) and mom (Diane Lane) have moved to San Francisco (painted in dull browns) from bright, snowy Minnesota, where she loved playing hockey with her best friends.

It’s a frightening new school and no friends, except for her emotions: Joy, voiced perfectly by Amy Poehler, used to be in charge. Now she’s on a mission with Sadness, voiced by Phyllis Smith channeling all the emotional weight, to retrieve Riley’s happiest memories. This leaves Fear (comedian Bill Hader), Disgust (star of “The Mindy Project,” Mindy Kaling) and Anger (Lewis Black, the right choice) in charge of Riley’s emotions. Now we know why adolescent teens act the way they do.

Travers noted, “The idea has been tried — remember TV's Herman's Head? — but never with the artful brilliance of filmmaker Pete Docter (Up; Monsters, Inc.).” Docter channels our emotions as well as Riley’s. We all hear our thoughts – no, not the kind that you bottle up. As shown by Docter, co-director Ronnie Del Carmen and co-writers Meg LeFauve and Josh Cooley, “Inside Out” isn’t really a story of emotions fighting as it is emotions trying to settle peace, set to Michael Giacchino’s wonderful, mood-jumping music.

Travers advised, “Too sophisticated? Maybe so when the film takes us to the dark subconscious, "where troublemakers go." Kids will probably roll with the abstract punches thrown by this burst of pure imagination. Parents and adults will likely be traumatized. You've been warned.”

We also have Richard Kind, who you might remember from “Spin City” and “Mad About You,” voicing Riley’s old imaginary friend, Bing-Bong (no, I did not make that up).

Much like how I stated yesterday, this movie came the closest to “Finding Nemo” in being the best Pixar movie ever. The reason why is because of how the emotions are shown fighting in here. We have never seen Pixar dab inside a child’s mind before until now, and seeing how they have finally done it, they really nailed it. Especially since we were all 11 at one point, so we know exactly how that age is. As much as we don’t want to remember that age, we do. Riley perfectly embodies how an 11-year-old acts, and it would be really nice if they made a sequel to this. I would like to know if they’re going to since I would be curious that what other emotions would come into Riley and start fighting with her, making it more difficult to get through her teen years, but seeing how she is a strong child, she’ll be able to do it.

Definitely see this film if you haven’t. This is another one of my favorite Pixar films. This belongs in the top 5 best Pixar films list. I cannot do this film justice by reviewing it. You just have to see it to know how amazing it is. Like I stated already, it’s not as good as “Finding Nemo,” but that’s a tough act to beat. However, it came the closest than any other Pixar movie. Stop reading this review and go out and see it, I promise you’ll love it.

Check in on Thursday where I review a film that wasn’t as good as expected, but not horrible by any means. The film is still a good film for everyone to see and is a lovable film for children. You might say it will be a defensive review, which it will be in a way, but it will be nice to look at in “Disney’s Pixar Month.”

22 comments:

  1. Great review. I really loved this film as well. I hope you can message me again on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried messaging you on YouTube before asking for the Spider-Man scripts. The new one is going to be released this year, so I was wanting those scripts and hoping you can write a review on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 so that way I can do a week-long marathon on the Spider-Man movies (even though I already did a month long review on them)

      Delete
    2. I will try and see if I can write something in time but currently I can`t message you on youtube so if you message me I can talk to you again.

      Delete
    3. I'll try messaging you again, although I tried doing that before, but I'll try again

      Delete
    4. It seems as though Youtube is being difficult again. How are things with your family? I hope both you and they are doing better. I am really happy that you graduated. Have you already gotten a job?

      Delete
    5. My family is doing good, thanks for asking. How are things with your family. Currently I'm doing a contract job, but trying to get in it full-time. We just started a hiring freeze, so once that is lifted, I will apply to full-time jobs. How is your health treating you?

      Delete
    6. Nice to hear your family is doing well. Mine is doing ok, it`s just that my mother is sick a lot, and she and my father are both very busy so I tend to be alone a lot. My sister will probably marry this year. I am happy you have a job. So do you enjoy it? Does it pay well? I am just kind of feverish, not feeling all too well, but not terrible either. So are you happier than last year? Experiencing less pressure from your family?

      Delete
    7. Great to hear that your sister will probably marry. I do enjoy the job, it does pay well. This year I feel optimistic compared to last year. In certain ways I feel less pressure, but other ways no, and I don't really want to talk about it on the comments section, if you understand that. Do you have anything special planned for this year? I hope that you will be fully recovered, as I do enjoy talking to you

      Delete
    8. I understand you don`t want to discuss it in the comment section. I am happy your job pays well. Happy there is less pressure in certain ways. Hope this will become a great year for both of us. I hope it`s ok that I say this, but it seems as though the economy is already starting to recover under Trump. He is a businessman so he could very well improve things on that front. I hope an economic recovery will also affect Europe. I even read Trump will lower taxes for the middle class and unnecessary government spending. Maybe you will suddenly earn more. That would be great. Might even make getting a job in The Netherlands easier eventually. Are you less worried about the political stuff?

      Delete
    9. I am less worried because I think that Trump will not last all four years. That's just my thinking, and I don't want to discuss it here so let's not get any further. There have been a couple of rallies already and my co-worker says that he will impeach himself, which I wouldn't be surprised at. As you know, I don't want to discuss this at the time, and I understand your situation, but please understand mine as I want to be careful of what I post since they can get us if they find something bad we say.

      Delete
    10. Really that`s interesting. Do you have a new Youtube channel? Your channel by the name of Chris seems to be gone? If you have a new cannel, could you give me the link? That way we could talk more privately. Also do you have a Google plus account? Maybe I could message you there. Also you should totally make your own Skype account. That way we could talk in person. What do you think?

      Delete
    11. You are subscribed to my new channel. It's under the title "FilmBuff." This is the link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKboNKknJmpCNN-Cyzv60xA. That's how I have been messaging you. The channel under the name of Chris was deleted because I was sharing that with a former friend. He deleted the account. Also, this blog was created with my Google Plus account, so if you click the author's name (which is my name), it will take you to my Google Plus account. I don't know if I'll ever get a Skype account, but that would be nice.

      Delete
    12. I posted a comment on your Joker video. I don`t seem to be able to message your channel. I was curious, who do you think would bother us if we discussed politics?

      Delete
    13. There are people who look at what is posted out there and either report it or those who see it before it's posted. I'm telling you, this is not the time or place to discuss this, as I also don't want to discuss this. I've said this to you multiple times that I cannot discuss politics for personal and safety reasons, so I'm going to ask you again to stop. If you don't, then I have to stop talking to you altogether, and I don't want to do that.

      Delete
    14. I didn`t know that. I wish we could discuss stuff like this somewhere else because it sounds very intriguing. You really should get your own Skype account. We could talk privately and face to face. I have never had a chance to do that. I am sorry, I didn`t know you had safety concerns. There is no need to threaten not to talk with me anymore, I was just curious, because you used to say that politics were a difficult for you because of personal stuff so I though things might be different now that you seemed to be doing better. I am sorry.

      Delete
    15. That's what I was trying to tell you, but I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that. Also, I wasn't threatening you, I was just giving you a word of warning. I'm sorry if it sounded that way. Things haven't been better for us here, so that's why. Once again, I apologize and will try better next time.

      Delete
    16. I had just hoped that now that you were doing better politics would be a less contentious issue. Sorry, I thought that things were better. Well I hope that they will get better for you. I will continue praying for you and your family. I hope that my support for your reviews cheer you up.

      Delete
    17. Thank you so much for your support. I do get cheered up after reading your comments because you basically are the only person who comments. Other people have commented, but I do thank you for everything and for understanding. I will pray for you and your family as well

      Delete
    18. Of course. Your reviews are brilliant. You have come a long way. Your knowledge of the behind the scenes and other critics is fantastic. I still really hope you will come back to Youtube. I hope you will keep up your fantastic work.

      Delete
    19. Thank you for the compliments. I also hope that you come back to YouTube soon. You will know when I come back because I'm considering a podcast style of reviews.

      Delete
    20. So I hope things are better for you and your family at this point, in spite of the corona stuff. I had stopped commenting for a while cause I had felt somewhat hurt by our arguments, and I had to deal with a lot of painful stuff in my personal life, but I am back to support your reviews and hope everything is easier now.

      Delete
    21. Thanks are actually being taken day by day, despite all of us on lockdown right now. I'm sorry to have hurt you in the comments, but I was just saying those things in order to protect us. I'm happy that you're back to support my reviews, as I'm just waiting for things to get better

      Delete