Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Star Trek: Insurrection

Alright everyone, that time of the month came that I was scared of from the first day. If you don’t know what I am referring to, I am of course referring to the absolute worst “Star Trek” movie, “Star Trek: Insurrection,” released in 1998.

Dustin Putman started his review out by saying, “I have never been a "Star Trek" fan, and, to tell the truth, out of the five films in the series that I have seen (1,2,3,8,9), I have disliked all of them. I do, however, always go into one of these with an open mind, and the ninth film in the series, "Star Trek: Insurrection," is no exception.”

Not having the hardcore sci-fi element of “Star Trek: First Contact,” this movie tells the story of a planet that has only 600 people, called the Ba’ku, including the Fountain of Youth. At the beginning of the movie, the Ba’ku are under attack by another extraterrestrial species, known as Son’a, who want to exterminate every Ba’ku so that their own race will not be extinct. Another person the Ba’ku is attacking is Data, everyone’s favorite android from “The Next Generation.” Cut to Picard and the crew on the Enterprise, no one knows why Data was unexpectedly taken over by something else. Some of the Enterprise team beam down to the planet, where Picard encounters and falls in love with one of the inhabitants, Anji, played by Donna Murphy, who is over 600-years-old, but looks like she is in her 30s.

“Star Trek: Insurrection” is a completely uninspired and cheap-looking movie in the franchise, and is a major step down from “First Contact,” which looked like they did something different and was inspired by the show. “Insurrection,” on the other hand, plays like a rejected episode from the show because of the small-scale, standard storyline, and relying heavily on one-liners rather than what Trekkies love. Putman is right when he said, “The film was filled with nearly non-stop comedy, and worse yet, most of it fell flatter than a cartoon character that drops off a cliff.” On top of that, when there are any action scenes, they’re not engaging or new, relying on the clichéd time suspension rule of the time bomb counting down sluggishly. This plot device, which was seen in about every action movie at the time and might still be today, gets old fast. Putman asked, “Are filmmakers so bankrupt of ingenuity and ideas that they must always have a timer ticking away during the climax?”

Another element of the “Star Trek” films is that Picard always has some sort of love interest, but she somehow disappears when the next film comes out a few years later. Even though Donna Murphy, whose character is the same thankless love interest in here, is one of the few characters that we get familiar with in this movie, Alfre Woodard was “so” much better in “First Contact.” Putman stated, “She should have returned for this one, but I don't blame her for not wanting to waste her time with this movie's disappointing and often lifeless screenplay, by Michael Piller.”

Putman is right when he says, “"Star Trek: Insurrection," is perhaps the weakest film in the "Star Trek," series, although I have not seen what is widely considered the worst, "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier."” (Consider yourself blessed Putman). This movie is the type of “safe” sequel that will confuse those who aren’t fans of the series, since it is such a downgrade compared to most of the blockbuster action films at the time (although most of them were not very good, either), and does disappoint loyal Trekkies, since it could have easily been better if the makers had realized that the screenplay needed to have a few more rewrites. Actually, they probably should have put the script through the shredder. That way, they could have come up with a story that at least look smart and fresh.

Like I stated at the beginning of the review, this movie feels like a rejected episode from “The Next Generation.” Because when you look at, minus all the ethical discussion of the Ba’ku looking like cheap rip-offs of the Amish, the film overall is a bore. The action and effects look so dull that it looks like no effort was put in this. I felt like nothing was accomplished in this movie. At least all the other odd-numbered Trek films left you with something good that made you glad that you saw it, but this didn't have anything backing it, which is the worst crime for a Trek movie. This one is just totally forgettable. In all honesty, if you want to skip this one, I say go right ahead, since this falls in the same trap as the first and fifth movie. Instead, watch some of the great two-part episodes from "The Next Generation" show. Even though Trekkies and regular moviegoers say the fifth movie is the worst, I sincerely think this movie is far worse and the worst in the series.

Phew, what a relief. Now that I have gotten that horrendous movie out of the way, check in Friday for the last movie for “The Next Generation” cast, which will be a defensive review in “Star Trek Month.”

10 comments:

  1. This was a really detailed well explained review, although I really liked this film. I actually really liked the action and thought the space battles in the red smoke was really exciting and had great effects. I liked that it was different from First Contact and more in line with the more upbeat episodes of TNG. I think both this and First Contact are good in their own way. You gave good points though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for understanding why I think this is the least in the franchise. I totally understand your reasoning, as I always have. It's alright if you liked this, as I won't judge you, and if you think 5 was the worst, I completely understand

      Delete
    2. I find it interesting that Redlettermedia complain about the effects in this film saying they were on par with Babylon 5, but the effects in Babylon 5 are for the most part, freaking amazing. I still really like the visual style and cinematography in the film. This still remains a great review though. Better than most other reviews I have seen or read.

      Delete
    3. That comment really means a lot and many thanks for it. I have never seen Babylon 5, but only pieces of it. I cannot compare the effects to that show, but compared to the effects on the TNG show, it was weak

      Delete
    4. You`re welcome. I`ve loved your reviews for over 5 years. Your supported me throughout multiple illnesses and helped me defend the Star Wars Prequels. I hope you will check out Babylon 5 along with Agents of Shield at one point. I still don`t really see how the effects were less in the TNG show as they had a higher budget, and I think it simply has to do with the things they had to animate. Like the effects in Spiderman 1, Alien 3, and so on it seems to be part of a more shiny colourful CGI style that many see as fake. Personally I think it is an underrated style. I can remember that years ago you said you had only seen Nemesis. Personally I had hoped you would disagree with the Nostalgia Critic on this as I thought it was one of his lesser reviews, although still good.

      Delete
    5. To be completely honest with you, I had seen all of Nostalgia Critics reviews before I decided to check out the film series. When I saw Insurrection, I had put his review out of my mind, but when I was watching the film, I didn't like it for those reasons. Not only were the effects not on par with the other films, but I felt like the story felt like a rejected episode from the show that they decided to turn into a movie. I personally thought that was a pathetic approach for the movie, as I think the whole planet making people younger and making the cast go through puberty again was still very distracting to the movie. I don't mind rejuvenation in movies, but this was not the way it should have been done. I'm glad you loved my reviews and I will still support you. I don't know when I will check out Babylon 5 and Agents of Shield, but time will tell when.

      Delete
    6. Yeah I suspected that but your reviews were still great. I had hoped you would have a more positive view them him, I thought he was too critical, but at least you made many excellent points. Personally I do think it can be bad to go into a film after having watched negative reviews off it. Maybe that contributed to you not liking the films the Nostalgia Critic didn`t like, but what do I know? Your reviews are still great to read.

      That is an interesting point. Personally I liked the idea because I think it made for a good moral conflict. I think they were trying to build of the show, like First Contact did with the Borg. I think the effects looked different as they used a newer CGI style.

      There is one great reviewer on Youtube who did excellent reviews of the Star Trek movies. He liked all of them except V.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4BOMJugy9w

      I think he does a great job defending this film. Maybe you will like his review. I can remember liking you to superhero rewind 5 years ago.

      Delete
    7. Thank you for that, but there have been bad reviews that I have seen of films, but went in and didn't understand that hate. If you remember my review on TMNT 3, I disagreed with Nostalgia Critic and AVGN on it. I liked the movie because I thought it had more in it than they suspected. I understand where you're coming from. Also, Nostalgia Critic didn't contribute to my liking or disliking of a film. I saw his review, then saw the movie and, without thinking of what the Nostalgia Critic said, I didn't like it. To me, I didn't think it made much sense.

      That's a great idea of putting the link to that reviewer. I will check him out when I get the chance.

      Delete
    8. Alright. I do hope you might rewatch the films or reconsider your criticisms at some points. Just a you did with Spiderman 3.

      Delete
    9. You will know if I will because I understand why you would want someone to reconsider their criticisms

      Delete