Friday, January 8, 2016

First Blood

Since I have just finished “Rocky Week,” a franchise that led Stallone to such success, I think that it would be appropriate to talk about another franchise that Stallone starred in that everyone remembers him for, the “Rambo” franchise. To kick off “Rambo Month,” let’s get started with the first film in the franchise, “First Blood,” released in 1982.

The basic story of this movie is that Vietnam War veteran John Rambo, played by Sylvester Stallone, returns home from the war and walks to one of his old friend’s house. When he arrives, he finds out that his friend was exposed to Agent Orange which caused him to have cancer and die. Things start to get worse when Rambo is mistreated by Sheriff Will Teasle, played by Brian Dennehy, who takes him to headquarters and interrogates the man. This police department is led by a cruel chief deputy named Art Galt, played by Jack Starrett, and Rambo ends up in his own personal war where he is taking on the entire police force. It started out as a small feud but escalated into a complete war of one man against the police.

I consider this film one of the greatest action movies I have ever seen. This movie doesn’t show Rambo as a good guy taking on bad guys, like the usual “good guy vs. bad guy scenario,” or showing him as a hero or anti-hero, he’s just a livid war veteran wanting revenge. James Rolfe described this film as a “strategy action film.” Don’t think this movie is going to show you how many things Rambo blows up in 90 minutes, it’s all about the suspense that is being built and the character. Just seeing Rambo set up the traps or the decoys and hone in on his enemies is just brilliant. So you can see that Rambo isn’t using brute force, but goes into stealth-mode by setting up the traps and using all sorts of survival tactics. Also, Rambo doesn't really have many lines at the beginning of the movie, but does get more as the movie progresses.

Another person I've got to mention is the late and amazing actor for his time, Richard Crenna, playing Rambo’s mentor Colonel Sam Trautman. He was another classic mentor character in this series for Rambo, similarly how Mickey was to Rocky. I just love it when Trautman says to the officer, “I don't think you understand. I didn't come to rescue Rambo from you. I came here to rescue you from him.” This line proves that Trautman is the only one who knows and understands Rambo since he has been with him for a long time and can be the only man that can calm him down, like how Betty Ross could calm Bruce Banner down when he turned into the Hulk.

You can watch this movie, and those of you who have been in a war can guess that Rambo is suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. This is a combat condition where a soldier’s nervous system has been stressed to its absolute peak and maximum where it can’t take any more input. The nervous system has either snapped or is about to snap. In case anyone is wondering, no, I’ve never been in the military. I have to thank George Carlin for educating me on that condition, since he was in the Air Force for some time, but got kicked out and got the G.I. Bill on honorary terms. I’m not kidding, watch his interviews, he admits it.

Getting back on topic, there is one more thing I have to mention: the ending. Now you might consider this a spoiler, but anyone who reviews this film has to feel obligated to talk about that last scene. Stallone gives one of his best dramatic monologues. Up until then, he was doing a great job and now he delivers the most dramatic monologue of his career. How often do we see an action hero get emotional, break down and cry like Rambo did? This movie is emotional as it is action-packed.

If you haven’t seen this movie, forget reading my review of it. Go out and see it, it’s a must. This is another one of my favorite movies ever because I just love every minute of it. For an action film, this did something new that I hadn’t seen at the time, and I love it. You just have to see this to believe everything.

This movie is based on the 1972 David Morrell novel of the same name. Since this film was successful, it started a franchise, which had three sequels, an animated series, comic books, and a novel. “First Blood” is also considered a cult classic, so you must see it.

Next week I will be looking at the first sequel in the franchise. Since I have been posting reviews every day since December, now I believe I need a week vacation before I post the next review next week and get back to my weekly Friday posts. I deserve it, so I will see you all next Friday with the second installment in “Rambo Month.”

6 comments:

  1. Great review. I really love this film. I think I might suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder myself due to the abuse I suffered for man years when I was younger. I am really happy that this film addressed how Vietnam veterans were unjustly mistreated. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sorry about that abuse and hope that a recovery comes full circle. Yes, this film does show how Veterans get mistreated and are not appreciated by everyone for the service that they do

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind encouraging words. I am happy that you appreciate war veterans. Are you doing any better yourself? I have been praying a lot for you and your family.

      Delete
    3. I feel like I have been doing better. Please keep praying, as I will for you because I'm trying to stay more positive, as I feel this year has been better

      Delete
    4. I am happy you seem to be doing better. I will continue praying for you every day.

      Delete
    5. Thank you and I will be doing the same for you

      Delete