Friday, August 14, 2026

Suburban Commando

You know what’s strange about trailers to movies that are coming out? They may or may not be a correct look of the movies they advertise – but they’re almost always the right guide to what the movie the makers wanted to make. For example, look at “Suburban Commando,” released in 1991, where the trailers looks like a crazy comic thriller through sci-fi and the suburbs, and in the movie, it looks more like a trail.

Roger Ebert stated in his review, “This is the second feature starring Hulk Hogan, the man who looks like a comic strip hero. Hogan’s range is limited, but not as limited as the movies he’s appeared in. Despite the fact that his public image is often aimed at children – there’s a whole line of Hulk Hogan toys – his first film, “No Holds Barred” (1989) was surprisingly violent, sexist and blood-soaked.” Now we have “Suburban Commando,” which is harmless, but it gives Hogan so little to do that his fans may think why he agreed to do this film.

The movie starts off in space, where Hogan plays Shep Ramsey, an intergalactic bounty hunter. (Ebert asked, “Ever wonder, by the way, how much of a bounty they’d have to pay to finance an intergalactic hunt?”) After a fight with his nemesis Suitor, played by William Bell, Ramsey damages his ship and lands on Earth, where he quickly lives with the rather eccentric Wilcox family.

Charlie Wilcox (Christopher Lloyd) and his wife Jenny (the late Shelley Duvall) don’t think that Ramsey is actually from space. Ebert asks, “I mean, why should they? If Hulk Hogan turned up at your door, where would you think he looked like he was from, aside from the funny pages?” However, Charlie is some kind of an inventor (anyone else thought of “Back to the Future?”), and after he looks into Ramsey’s ship there is a lot of nonsense with humans getting stuck int eh middle of a fight between beings from other planets.

Ebert ended his review by saying, “Somebody was asking the other day, do I ever get tired of going to the movies? Naw, I said, I love movies and so some days it’s not really a job, it’s more of a lucky break. But I wasn’t feeling lucky the day I saw “Suburban Commando,” and you know what? By golly, by the time it was over, I was feeling kind of tired of going to the movies.”

Michael Faustino and Laura Mooney play the Wilcox children, Larry Miller plays Charlie’s boss, and Mark Calaway aka The Undertaker makes his feature film debut in this film. This film was originally meant for Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito with the title “Urban Commando,” but when they both decided to star in “Twins,” New Line Cinema bought the script as the follow-up to “No Holds Barred,” which I have never seen.

I saw this movie sometime after I saw the Nostalgia Critic’s review of the movie, which I shouldn’t have done, but I do agree with what he said about the film. This is mostly a stupid movie, but at least there was a laugh here and there, but not like a bust out laughing moment. However, the funniest part of the movie is when Ramsey and Charlie have an argument, and Charlie says one of the funniest out-of-context lines, “I WAS FROZEN TODAY!” I think I should use that line next time when I’m in the middle of an argument to see what the reaction will be. Still, you shouldn’t see this movie because it is just stupid and you will beat yourself up for putting this on. Just avoid it.

One more flaw I have to point out, which I think everyone has pointed out when watching this film, is when Ramsey walks into an arcade and sees a kid playing a game, he is constantly saying that he is fighting a space villain by the name of Dragos. However, the game he was playing was a 1987 jet combat game released by Sega, After Burner, which had nothing to do with aliens, phasers, photon torpedoes, who anything science fiction related. I have never played or heard of the game until Nostalgia Critic pointed it out in his review, but when you watch that scene, you will know that it is clearly a jet combat game and not a game about space aliens.

Next week, I will be looking another terrible Hogan movie in “Wrestlers in Movies Month.”

No comments:

Post a Comment